Critical Explorers Summer 2012 Teacher Workshops
August 20-22, 2012
Apply by July 1, 2012
We look forward to working with you in August!
Workshop 1 (for new participants):
Critical Exploration in Grades 4-12 Humanities Classrooms: An Introduction
* Learn to teach through critical exploration
* Choose and experiment with primary source materials you can use in your classroom
* Experience, reflect on, and create history and literature activities
* Examine and discuss written portraits of critical exploration in practice
* Learn new ways of listening to students and looking at their work
By working with materials and examples drawn from History/Social Studies/Geography and English/Language Arts, we will learn and practice critical exploration
, an approach educators can trust to help them capture students’ interest, respond to their ideas, and initiate and sustain authentic, learner-centered investigations. This dual focus (on the approach as well as the content) makes the workshop practical not only for history and English teachers, but for all teachers, including those who want to explore connections between other subject areas (art, science, etc.) and the humanities and social studies. All interested teachers are welcome.
Workshop 2 (for returning participants):
Designing and Deepening Humanities Investigations for Grades 4-12
Prerequisite: Workshop 1 (above) or Eleanor Duckworth’s course T-440: ”Teaching and Learning”
* Cultivate and sustain student interest in required topics by combining materials and creating and extending exploratory activities
* Help students make sense of primary sources — and approach secondary sources just as critically
* Support and structure students’ collective and individual efforts to develop historical or literary themes
* Open the richness of each curricular topic to students with special needs
* Assess students’ learning while focusing on their thinking and helping them reexamine their understandings
This workshop (for returning participants and alumni of T-440) is designed to help participants build on previous experiences teaching the humanities through critical exploration. Sessions will include large and small group explorations, laboratory time for activity development and experimentation, and focused reflection and revision in conversation with other participants and facilitators. Teams of participants will design flexible sequences of materials they can incorporate into their teaching next year.
Details about the workshops:
Monday – Wednesday, August 20-22, 2012, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Lesley University, Porter Square, Cambridge, MA
Coffee, tea, and homemade muffins or scones will be provided each morning. Please bring your own lunch. We’ll eat lunch together so that discussion can continue informally over the meal.
Cost: $395. Scholarships are available.
To apply, ask questions, or request a scholarship,
email us at email@example.com or contact us
Applications are due by July 1, 2012.
We will schedule a day this fall when all 2011 and 2012 workshop participants can come together to discuss in-progress work and questions.
Please share this announcement with anyone you think might be interested.